Monday, June 28, 2010

Review #75: Oh No


Isaac (age 11):  "Oh No" is illustrated by Dan Santat.
Gracie (age 9):  Dan Sanitizer.
Isaac:  And it is written by...
Gracie:  Chuck Duckerman!
Isaac:  Written by Chuck Duckerman?
Gracie:  HA hee hee heehee!  No - That's what I think the robot's name should be.  Chuck Duckerman.
Dad:  "Oh No" is written by Mac Barnett.
Gracie:  Macaroni Barnett!
Dad:  Great.
Gracie:  Dan Sanitizer and Macaroni Barnett.
Lily (age 7):  This is a weird and wacko book.  But the people that made this book are smartypants, because they could build this story.
Isaac:  They have crazy imaginations.
Gracie:  They are crazy... in a good way.
Isaac:  "Oh No" is about this girl who builds a super hi-tech robot.
Gracie:  Chuck Duckerman.
Isaac:  Robot.  She makes the robot for a science fair.  It wasn't that hard for her to win first place because this is what she was up against -- "Cup of Dirt."  "Just Hamsters."  And a little teeny volcano.  Those were the other entries, so she creamed them.
Gracie:  If I entered a Science Fair, I'd probably do something about aerodynamics.
Dad:  Do you even know what aerodynamics is?
Gracie:  Flying.
Dad:  Wow - you know a big word.  Where'd you learn that big word?
Gracie:  I made it up.
Dad:  You didn't make it up.
Gracie:  Well, then where did I hear it?
Dad:  I don't know - that's what I asked you.
Gracie:  I would make a replica of a model of a plane.
Dad:  So you wouldn't just make a model plane?  You'd make a replica OF a model of a plane?
Isaac:  Ha ha!
Gracie:  Or I could just do a project on cows.
Dad:  Aerodynamics... or cows.
Gracie:  I could teach people how to dissect cows.
Dad:  Wow.  This has nothing to do with the book.  Let's get back on track...
Gracie:  Has Macaroni Barnett ever dissected a cow?
Dad:  What happens to the robot?
Isaac:  It escapes.  It was a science project catastrophe.
Gracie:  The robot has a laser eye and super claw.  The robot's name is Chuck Duckerman.  And Chuck Duckerman starts destroying the world.
Lily:  If kids are afraid of lasers, they shouldn't read this book.
Isaac:  The robot also has hypnotizing-dog-power.  The robot made dogs think they were robots destroying the world -- little teeny chihuahuas dressed up with hats.  If I could control a dog's mind, I would make it Riverdance.
Lily:  So then the girl made a giant frog to defeat the robot, and the giant frog saved the world.
Isaac:  She turned a little frog into a giant monster frog with a machine.  With a Froginizer.  A Grow-inator-inator.  The Biginator.
Gracie:  The giant frog destroys Chuck Duckerman.
Isaac:  But now she has to make another thing to stop the frog.  I don't know what's going to stop it... but I'm going to make it.
Dad:  So, that's the storyline.  What did you think of the illustrations?
Isaac:  The pictures remind me of a movie.  An old scary movie.  It looks like Godzilla!  I bet they were trying to make it resemble an old Godzilla movie.
Dad:  Have you ever seen an old Godzilla movie?
Isaac:  I'm just guessing.
Dad:  How do you even know who Godzilla is?  I suppose it's just part of our cultural make-up.  Everyone knows Godzilla.
Lily:  Yes.  He's a giant monkey.
Dad:  That's King Kong.
Lily:  Oh.

hypnotized puppies dressed as robots, by Lily

a new giant robot to defeat the giant frog, by Isaac


Gracie had a different idea of how to attack the frog:
make a fly grow giant with the Biginator machine...

but...  that might not work...


Author: Mac Barnett
Illustrator: Dan Santat
Published, 2010: Hyperion
Like it?  Find it

10 comments:

Heidi Noel said...

I loved the way the conversation went off on tangents and then got back on track. It seemed you could see personalities shining through. This looks like a book we would enjoy in our house.

ElizT said...

C0nversation, pictures, the whole thing is a hoot!

Mary Ann Dames - Reading, Writing, & Recipes said...

It is fun to "listen" in on your conversations. They make me smile.

Charlene Juliani said...

Fun....I just love story time and the way it brings about such fun conversations with the kids, it's the best!

Amy @ Hope Is the Word said...

I love it, as always! Great artwork!

MamaGames - Alexa C. said...

Love Lily's hypnotized dogs... :)

Unknown said...

The artwork is amazing. I love the robot and frog. Another wonderful interview.

phasejumper said...

Love the conversations in your house!

Jenny said...

That is hilarious! And they are quite the artists!

Brimful Curiosities said...

If the Z-kids ever do participate in a science fair, I want to see the entries! Seriously, dissect cows? That completely cracked me up. We finally read this book this week and think it is pretty awesome.