Friday, January 10, 2014

Review #125: Charlotte's Web

 
The 3rd Annual 90-Second Newbery Film Festival is coming soon!  We attended the screening in Chicago last year and it was tons of fun!  Don't know what the 90-Second Newbery is?  I'll put some links at the bottom of this post.  But in the meantime...

For our entry this year, we decided to tackle one of the most highly favored novels in Children's Literature.  Charlotte's Web won a Newbery Honor in 1952.  Ten years later, Spider-Man made his first appearance.  Hey... why not bring the two legendary spiders together?  Why not re-imagine the "Charlotte" characters as costumed heroes and villains in the opening credits of an imaginary tv show?  Okay!  Let's do it!  

We're proud to present our Charlotte's Web / Spider-Man / Mashup Video:



And for an actual 'review' of the book, here are the lyrics to our song:
­­

Charlotte’s web, Charlotte’s web
Making miracles with her thread
She spins a web that brings surprise
With her words she saves lives
Look Out!
Here comes Charlotte’s web

See that pig in the mud?
He will faint at the thought of blood
Will our Wilbur soon be dead?
Just take a look overhead
See there:
There’s hope in Charlotte’s web

From the farm to the fair
Meeting animals everywhere
He could get eaten any day
Danger’s never far away
That’s why
He needs Charlotte’s web

In the chill of night
With her own special twine
She in secret writes
To save the life of a swine

Charlotte’s web
, Charlotte’s web
Friendly, generous, lots of legs
The pig gets fame
While she’s ignored
Making friends is her reward

So pigs, whenever you are shakin’
She’ll come and save your bacon
Look out for Charlotte’s web!


To see all four of our own Newbery Videos, click here...
To learn more about the 90-Second Newbery Film Festival, click here...
To see the best of the 90-Second Newbery videos, click here...

Author: E.B. White
Illustrator: Garth Williams
Published, 1952: HarperCollins
Want the book?  Here it is




 

18 comments:

Divina said...

What great videos! I also like the ones you all did in previous years. Best of luck at the film festival.

James Kennedy said...

Aaron! You and your family always come through every year with the best movies in the film festival! This one was so full of energy, style, and action! I loved the singing too. What a great idea! I hope you can come to the film festival this year, too (and we're definitely showing your movie) -- make sure you register everyone who is coming (for free) here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/90-second-newbery-film-festival-chicago-screening-tickets-10013706265 And thanks again -- it's a treat and an honor to get stuff from you every year. And I'm looking forward to hanging out again with you in Chicago!

Playing by the book said...

Joy joy joy! Well done all of you - what a brilliant film!

:Donna Marie said...

"Saving your bacon!" Crackin' me up! LOL Just love it and love your poem :D Thanks!!!

Jen said...

"Saving your bacon"...I love that too. Such a cute poem. My daughter and I read Charlotte's Web together years ago.
Very creative!

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Good luck! We are having a little film festival out here in Utah next week and I'm excited for it...

EG CameraGirl said...

What a cool idea to merge Charlotte with Spiderman! I wish you luck.

Granny-Guru said...

What a fabulously creative video! Good luck at the film festival. And, I thought I was a cool Grandma for having both my grandchildren's photos made into manga figures for Christmas this year. You've taken it to a whole new level!

Anonymous said...

I just love Charlotte's Web!

SarahBeth said...

That was better than fabulous! What great creative talent for those kids! (Loved Little Lamb!) I'll definitely be checking out your other videos -- so glad you wrote about this... I had never heard of the 90 second Newbery.

Lola said...

Good luck - great post!

Unknown said...

Great post! I love it :)

Annesphamily said...

Great post! Sweet poem! Love Charlotte's web!

Carol said...

Awesome...loved seeing all the kids!

Lmkazmierczak said...

So creative and fun...All the best♪ http://lauriekazmierczak.com/immortal-invisible-%E2%99%AA/

Jenny said...

I love seeing your imagination at work...

I think you have another classic here!

A+

Joanne Roberts said...

This is an old post, but I had to let you all know how amazing it is! Beautiful work! Tell Dad I love his drawings of you. My family made movies like this when I was the Little Lamb's age. You might have liked our Batman movie. It was just like the TV show with Adam West. Because I was so little, I got to be the henchman who wandered around on the set and forgot to fall down when she got BLAMMed or POWed. Thanks for sharing this with us. Post more reviews soon!

Miss E. Laneous said...

Ok, now I am officially a fan of your family and this site....that idea for your Newbery video....great! I hope it won something! And I vote for Little Lamb to win an Oscar! If anyone was hesitant to read Charlotte's Web before, I must show them this film! They will rush right to my bookshelf and borrow one of my three copies! Thank you!