Monday, April 23, 2012

Linkin' blogs

I visit lots and lots of blogs in my own personal efforts to keep tabs on the world of children's literature.  Out of hundreds of sites, there are four that rise to the tip of the top, and I have permanent links to them at the bottom of that column to the right.  The links have been there for years, but I've never called attention to them before... so I thought I'd do so now!  And I had fun making  a little piece of art to accompany each one.  These are the 4 sites that I consider to be the very Best of the Kidlitosphere...


A Fuse #8 Production:

Betsy Bird, a New York children's librarian, is hands down Queen of the Kidlitosphere.  Her blog "A Fuse Number 8 Production" was picked up by School Library Journal a number of years ago, and for good reason.  She has an addictive style of writing, comprehensive kitlit content, and an insane posting frequency.  And the list of links she has on her page will take you anywhere that's worthy of going in the children's literature world.  Her blog is a required daily stop for me.  In fact, I discovered her Fuse 8 shortly after she started it around 2005/2006.  I do believe I've visited the site for every entry she has ever posted.


Seven Impossible Things Before Breakfast:

7-Imp is the single greatest online resource for lovers of picture book illustration.  Jules Danielson regularly highlights, celebrates, and champions wonderful and diverse illustration art.  She interviews top illustrators working today.  She also features right-out-of-school, up and coming illustrators.  Publishers send her art to showcase from upcoming releases before you can see it anywhere else in the world.  And in my own opinion, her annual year-end recaps are the single greatest thing on the web -- I daresay they justify the existence of the internet.


Just One More Book:

In this podcast, a husband & wife team simply sit at their local coffee shop and carry on casual, honest, insightful conversations about the children's books they love.  Mark Blevis and Andrea Ross are great people, and the amazing website they managed to create was the direct inspiration for our family to start Bookie Woogie.  Although the podcast ended a few years ago, all the content is still on the site, and the vast Archive is an invaluable treasure trove of information.  In addition to all the wonderful books they've highlighted, there are countless hours of interviews they conducted with some of the best storytellers in the world.  It will forever be an amazing resource.


"Creative Spaces" on From the Mixed-Up Files:

Jennifer Bertman invites children's book authors and illustrators to share information about the places where they work - complete with photos!  We get to read about and see those sacred spots where the magic happens.  At last count around 75 (!!!) studio spots have been shared, with more continually being added.  While all the interviews are great, I made the little illustration here in honor of my favorite post.  Have fun perusing the great list of creators - but before you stop, do make sure you check out Dianne deGroat's studio!



And, oh,  golly... I can't just stop there.  I could list dozens upon dozens more...  But I'll give 10 more sites - I'll type up the first 10 that come to mind.  These are also sites that I love and visit on a regular basis:

• 100 Scopes Notes
• Playing by the Book
• Writing for Kids (While Raising Them)
• Brain Burps About Books
• Brimful Curiosities
• Reading to Know
• Books 4 Your Kids
• Adam Rex
• Laura's Life
• Blue Rose Girls

13 comments:

Jules at 7-Imp said...

Thank you seven-thousand-fold. I'm very touched. And I yawp "HEAR HEAR!" to all the other sites listed here.

Tara Lazar said...

Wow, this is an awesome compilation and I am really honored and humbled to be included among such talented company. THANKS, AARON & the Z-FAMILY!

Anna Alter said...

The Blue Rose Girls are honored to be included! Thanks Aaron!

Scope Notes said...

Thanks for the shout out!

Playing by the book said...

Wow, amazing to be included. Thank you so much! And there are even a couple here that are new to me - I feel like a kid at christmas full of anticipation at coming delights! Thank you :-)

Fuse #8 said...

Wow! A fantastic ode AND a brand new avatar. You the man, Zenz.

The1stdaughter said...

What a wonderful list! Each and everyone one of these are some of my very favorites. Glad to see them all recognized! xo

Annalisa said...

Marvelous!

Smiles,
Anna

Sal's Fiction Addiction said...

Thanks for sharing your favorite blogs...I love learning about new ones! There are some I read every day, and new ones that I intend to have a close look at after your share.

Adriana @ BooksOnHerMind said...

You should visit Waking Brain Cells. One of my favorite blogs (:
Awesome designs btw

Brimful Curiosities said...

There are so many wonderful kitlit sites out there it's hard to name favorites, but you've mentioned several that I love and enjoy! Honestly, I wish I had more time in the day to visit them all (and devote more time to my own blog).

Anonymous said...

I'm blushing! Thank you!

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Thanks for sharing these sites! When our children were growing up...going to the library and checking out books were a BIG part of what we loved to do. And I loved reading the books to and with them. Even though they are grown up and living far away, we still talk about books we have read and I have so many of their children's books to share with our grandchildren as our family grows. :o) I love your illustrations and need to buy your books to be in my "Lolli & Papa" library :o)

Blessings & Aloha!