Saturday, May 8, 2010

Z-Mom

Bookie Woogie has been a great place for the kids and Dad to have fun, to learn, and to bond.  And even though Mom is mostly behind the scenes of this blog, she is front and center in our lives.  Sure I get to share kidlit-knowhow once a week -- but she schools them all week long!  Sure, the kids and I talk about books -- but she taught them to read!  Sure, I tell them about art techniques -- but she keeps order in a house filled with all the paint and its splatter, pencils and their shavings, paper and its scraps.

So I'd like to take a moment to thank Z-Mom, and recognize how very precious she is to us all.  And in doing so, also acknowledge the matchless impact all YOU moms have in the lives of your dear little ones as well.

In honor of Mother's Day, I invite you to check out this post from last year.  And I'd also like to share a Mother's Day recording made in 2002 when Isaac was just 3, Gracie was 1 1/2, and Lily had yet to be discovered:


I don't think  the above audio needs translating.  But just in case the only reason I can understand the toddle-speak is because they're my own kids, here are some subtitles to scan as you listen:

Dad:  Who does Gracie love?
Gracie (age 1):  Ba-bub!
Dad:  Who?  Who does Gracie love?
Gracie:  Cee-cie!
Dad:  Gracie?
Gracie:  Uh-huh!
Dad:  Who is a pretty lady that Gracie loves?
Gracie:  I do too!
Dad:  You do too?  We'll ask brother first.  Isaac, who do you love that is a pretty lady?
Isaac (age 3):  Mommy.
Dad:  You do!  Who does Gracie love?
Gracie:  Mommy.
Dad:  You do!  Who does Daddy love too?
Isaac:  Umm...  Turkey!  Ha ha!
Dad:  What?  No - it's Mommy!  Why do you love Mommy, Cee-cie?
Gracie:  Moose.
Dad:  Moose?  You love Mommy because she is a moose...
Isaac:  Ha ha ha!  I love Mommy because her is pretty.
Dad:  Because she's pretty?  Oh, why else do you love Mommy?
Isaac:  Because... I love her because her says "I love you" to me.
Dad:  That's very nice.  Why do you love Mommy?
Gracie:  Jesus!
Dad:  You love Mommy because of Jesus?
Isaac:  Daddy?  I want to hear the sounds. [from the taperecorder]
Dad:  Would anybody like to sing a song about Mommy?
Isaac:  Yeah.
Dad:  Okay.  Let's hear your song.
Isaac: (singing)  I love Mommy.  I love Mommy.  I love Mommy.  Yes I do.  Yes I do.  I love Mommy.  I love Mommy.  Because her pretty.
Dad:  Good one!  Does Gracie have a song?  Let's hear your Mommy song.  Can you sing it, Gracie?
Isaac:  Can you sing that moose song?  That moose that you just said on the radio?
Dad: (singing)  I love Mommy...
Gracie: (singing)  I do too...
Isaac:  That was my song!  Gracie, that was my song I was doing!
Dad:  Yeah, Gracie knows it.  Let's hear you sing it.  Let's hear you sing the I love Mommy Song.
Gracie: (singing)  Love Mommys...
Dad:  That was great.  That was very pretty.
Gracie: (singing)  I do too...
Isaac: (singing)  I love Mommy...
Gracie:  I do too...
Isaac:  I love Mommy.  Yes I do.  Yes I do.
Gracie: (heavy breathing)  Love Mommy.  I do too.  I do too.
Dad:  Very pretty.
Gracie:  I do too.  I do too.
Dad:  What are some of the things you can think of that Mommy does for you that you are very thankful for?
Isaac:  Her sings me songs.
Dad:  That's good.  Does Mommy do anything else?
Isaac:  Yeah.  Her tells me "I love you."
Dad:  She tells you that she loves you...
Isaac:  Her say "I keep you."  Yep.  And Mommy... her make me food, and her said "I love you."
Dad:  Wow.  Those are great!  What does Mommy do for you Gracie?
Gracie:  Jesus.
Dad:  She tells you about Jesus?  What else does Mommy do?
Gracie:  Jesus!  Do too!
Dad:  Does Mommy give you huggies?
Gracie:  I do too.
Dad:  Does Mommy give you kisses?
Gracie:  Yeah!  I do tooooo!
Dad:  Who likes Mommy's kisses?
Gracie:  I do too.
Dad:  Who likes Mommy's hugs?
Gracie:  I do too.
Dad:  Do you like to give Mommy hugs?
Gracie:  Yes!
Isaac:  Her says, if something is breakable, I can't touch it.
Dad:  Why does she do that?  Does she say that to keep you safe?
Isaac:  Yeah.  Like a sword.  If I have a sword backward, it would hurt myself.
Dad:  Mmm.
Isaac:  Happy Mother's Day, Mommy.

3 comments:

Boysnberries' Brambles said...

We love this sooo much. Thanks for sharing your kids with us for all these years! We love you and think Z-Mom is one of the best we know.

Majeki said...

Happy Mother's Day Mrs. Z! Sure hope it is a great one!

Thank you for all you teach me in the art of homemaking. You are a great example and friend.

Kimberly

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

Aw!! Soooo soooo sooo sweet! I'm glad that I came over to this post to find out more about Z-mom :o)

I love Isaac's little song! And Gracie's "I do too..."

Blessings & Aloha!
Oh! also I loved looking at how your book Hiccopotumus evolved! (In fact...just tonight, I was on the phone with our oldest (who has been married two years already)...and I happen to have the hiccups! and as strange as it may sound...I have always "loved" hiccups...as a little kid, I would say the alphabet when I had the hiccups...just to see how far I would get before the hiccups interrupted my ABCs! I look forward to future grandbabies and your books would be wonderful additions to some of the ones I still have from when ours were little. :o)